Thursday, December 14, 2006

Active Night for Skywatchers!

I've received numerous calls and E-Mails regarding tonight's northern lights (aurora borealis). I sent out a special 13YourCast e-mail with the hopes of catching some of you. I hope you got a chance to view them. The image to the left shows the present auroral activity. (click to enlarge) You can see the bright red over Hudson Bay tonight indicating a high level of auroras! While the sights can be seen over Northern Illinois, it likely isn't viewable south of St. Louis!

If you have any pictures of tonight's display, please send them to me! esorensen@wrex.com

In addition, on my little trek through the country this evening, I saw many shooting stars that were brightly lit all the way down to the ground. There are still so many because the geominid meteor shower peaked last night. In fact, a micro-meteorite struck the Space Shuttle early this morning while the astronauts slept. For more info on that, click here. -ERIC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know I wasn't just seeing things when I took the dog out very late. MANY shooting stars!