
9:35pm - Temperatures have fallen into the teens below zero as of 9pm. While this isn't quite as far as I thought they'd be by now, we're still dealing with a 7-14mph wind. As high pressure builds in over the next few hours I expect the wind to drop down to 4-9mph. This will allow temperatures to fall into the -20s. I'm not going to monkey with our projected temperature of -26 by morning, but if we're not to -20 by 3am, it will be very hard to achieve. Having said that, there will be some locales that are much colder. Very remote, rural areas (especially those in valleys) will be as cold as -30 by 6am. To reiterate, a Wind Chill Warning remains in effect through midday Friday.
6:35pm - Between now and 10 o'clock the question running through my mind is "Will my forecast of -26° work out or will I have to tweak it? It will all determine on our rate of change this evening.
Here are
6pm Temperatures and 1 hour change
Rockford -12° -3°
Freeport -10° steady
Rochelle -17° -1°
Janesville -9° -1°
Monroe -9° steady
Lake Geneva -6° steady
DeKalb -12° steady
Sterling -13° steady









8 comments:
at 1800 this evening, i was driving from dixon to polo, where the themometer on my truck had readings of minus 20 and minus 22 in 2 spots...i thought this was crazy, until a friend showed up 15 minutes later where i was, and verified that on her way back to polo, in the very same places, her van themometer read the same temperatures...BBBBBRRRRR
Eric, after this surge is over, are there any more arctic outbreaks looming, or is this going to mother of them all for this winter.
I shouldnt have gone anywhere tonight.
And I have a friend whose power went out... that really has to suck.
Question: does wind chill affect inanimate objects (like vehicles) or just living things (like people and animals)?
I.e., if your vehicle fluids are good to -25 below and the air temp is -20 below but the wind chill is -30 below, is your car all set or in Big Trouble?
Wind chill only affects living things. If your antifreeze is rated to -25, then it will be fine until -25... regardless of wind chill.
Animals don't experience the same wind chill as people. The newer wind chill values are based on some alterations to the formula, including simulated human face. So, that throws out the notion that, say, a squirrel will experience the same wind chill as a person.
I thought the public schools closed when it was so cold they didn't want the kids waiting for buses. But I must be wrong, because it's colder this morning than it was yesterday morning, and district #205 is not on the closings list.
So, does anyone know why they closed yesterday but not today?
District #205 had a scheduled day off for today anyways, which is why they aren't on the list.
Oh! Well, that makes sense --my daughter goes to Spectrum, so I didn't know about the scheduled day off.
Thanks for clearing that up for me :-)
Post a Comment