Monday, February 16, 2009

Slowly making sense


Despite remaining model discrepancies, I decided I had enough confidence to have a somewhat preliminary snowfall forecast.

The trend seems to be that the greatest snowfall will lie in central/southern Wisconsin where temperatures will be supportive of snow for the longest time. Wraparound snow will also lead to somewhat higher accumulations, too.

Now, there's still a chance (and probably a pretty good chance) that this snowfall forecast will be adjusted a bit once we're able get a better feel for how this whole thing is going to evolve. The good news is that the disturbance has been over land for a little while now, so the networks of weather instruments are getting some data on it. As I mentioned last night, that'll help our computer models understand things a little better.

I can't help thinking that the low will edge closer to the where the snowcover/no snowcover is located... which would be a slightly more northerly track. That would allow for the swath of heaviest snow to remain north.

We'll adjust this forecast as necessary, of course. This is definitely a complex, challenging forecast... one that I'm sure Eric would rather not be welcomed back to! :)

4 comments:

tony said...

I hope we somehow get in the heavier snow track since it is still winter. If we can get one more big snow, I will be happy then I will be ready for spring.

Cassi said...

I'll tell you what Tony --I live in the area with more snow forecast. You can come get our snow and take it away :-) I'm ready for spring NOW!

Wendy said...

So what's the weather going to be for a drive to Hanover to the Durand/Dakota Regional basketball game that starts at 7:30 PM, hopefully just rain, no freezing rain or ice.

Adam Painter said...

Wendy, it looks like a mixture of rain, sleet, and snow is still possible at that time. However the precipitation should stay quite light until around midnight. The activity should really get going after you drive back home tonight.