Tuesday, October 17, 2006

First signs of a major winter storm!

I got goose bumps when I looked at the GFS computer model this afternoon! A significant storm system will take shape on Thursday over the southern plains and track into the Midwest by the weekend.

This system is very close to the "perfect storm" when it comes to producing snowfall. Storms that track from Oklahoma to lower Michigan often pick up copious amounts of Gulf moisture. This one certainly isn't perfect (given the time of year and the robust water content) but bears some watching!

The other thing this storm may have is a good deal of cold air! As you can see the freezing line goes from near Milwaukee to Champaign Sunday morning. This would put northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin in a prime spot for snowfall. If this were December we'd be in for several inches. However the calendar reads October. The perverbial wrench has been thrown in. For now, I'll have some question marks on the extended forecast...the headlines will go up if the GFS can continue to paint the same scenario for the Saturday night/Sunday timeframe.

What do you think of this early-winter weather? Does it make you want to start your Christmas shopping? Post a comment below and we'll open this up for some discussion! -ERIC

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love temps around 25 to 30 degrees and lots of snow. We haven't had a good snowy winter in quite some time.I wait all year for winter to get here.I know, I'm in the minority on this.

Adam said...

Boo cold weather... Besides, the only thing lots of snow means for me is the headache of entering school closings into the ticker.

-A

Dadio said...

This cool to cold weather snap early in the year is coming right at the right time for us Bow Hunters who are out chasing deer. The unofficial start of the chasing pre-rut phase of the breeding cycly starts around Oct. 21 and runs thru Nov 9th approx. Added to this cool weather snap and it should give to alot of deer movement this weekend and next week.

Did you know that the number of deer vehicle accidents in Illinois per year is over 22,000 and the number of fatalities caused by deer running into vehicles was up dramatically this past year. We saw more deer movement last night than we've seen all month. BE CAREFUL ON THE ROADS FROM NOW THRU DECEMBER!!! Until then my wife and I will be out in the woods trying to do our part in controling the over population of deer.

Anonymous said...

With regard to that first comment, I too like winter. I think that it's pretty neat to see the land covered in a thick white blanket of snow, the only thing that I don't like about it the sun.. because when it glares on the snow, it kind of impares my driving, but I like it none the less. I hope that we have a lot of snowfall this winter. I also like driving in it too. Gets the adrenaline going....
Timothy Hanson

Anonymous said...

I love the snowfall. I hope that we see several inches this year. It will also help with the farmers as well. Maybe we will get lucky and see winter come very early this year and stick around for awhile. I would love that!! Hopefully this potential snow maker will follow suit with what the GFS computer model is stating.

Anonymous said...

I like the snow. I would really like to see us get a lot this year. We haven't gotten that much in last 6 to 10 years. I remember mowing my yard in shorts when I was 15 yrs old and hanging christmas lights up in shorts and no shirt on the year after that. I hope that pesky el nino don't shut out the snow this year.

Anonymous said...

I love snow. After living in TX and GA for about 20 years, I have missed snow and cold temps.
The five winters I have been back north have been so disappointing.
LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW AND LET IS SNOW A BLIZZARD!
Mary