Friday, November 10, 2006

High Flying Adventure!

It's been a hobby of my brother and mine for years: flying! Lucky for me, he's the pilot! With last weekend's beautiful weather, I just had to take him up on an offer to go flying! While we were at the Poplar Grove Airport on Sunday we met up with a good friend of my brother's: Ed McKeown. He owns the beautiful yellow bi-plane you see in these pictures. He was gracious enough to allow Mike and I up with him in his plane. Wow! Was that a terrific rush! Never before had I been on a roller-coaster that fun! Even though it was warm on the ground (50-55°), you need to be suited up properly. Since you're flying at 100mph there's quite a wind chill up there! Even though our flights were only minutes in length, I could definitely spend hours up in the weather! As we landed Ed asked me how much fun I was having. Between laughs I said "Amazing!" He then replied, "Now you know why this has become a passion of mine!" I am so thankful for his offer and his hospitality!

My brother Mike and Ed know each other because of an organization called Angel Flight. Volunteer pilots donate their time (and pay all flight expenses) in order to give children and adults long-distance transportation. Many people need special treatment for illness...many times long-distances away. Angel Flight gives these people a way to get to the destination totally free. (However I'm told that Ed doesn't do Angel Flight trips in the biplane!)

If you'd like to get involved with Angel Flight, they are looking for donations. If you can't donate right now, become a volunteer! It's truly a worth-while cause. -ERIC

No comments: