Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ridiculous!


These snowfall totals just blow my mind. 13.3" from an Alberta Clipper! That is not supposed to happen. However, it was one of those situations that narrow bands of heavier snow set up over the same locations repeatedly. And, given the fairly fluffy nature of the snow, it piled up very quickly. Thankfully, it was a very long duration event with a big break in the middle of it. Otherwise, it would have been an even bigger headache.

Looking ahead to tomorrow, I do have light snow in the forecast... but it shouldn't amount to much. This Clipper is going to be much weaker with very little moisture available to work with. The best chance for any snow showers will be north of US20. A dusting is possible, with perhaps some measurable snow in some places. It looks like the snow shovels and snowblowers can be traded for simply a broom tomorrow.

Monday's and Wednesday's snow look to be on the order of a few inches each. Of course, that will be fine-tuned, but with even more fresh snow on the ground, next week's arctic outbreak should be pretty mean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin,

When I left that 9.25 " total, that was for the entire storm.

Curt

Anonymous said...

The snow is so fluffy, I think 3/4 of that "snow depth" is all air.

I measured 10.1" in my back yard, but I have shoveled many 2 inch snows that were heavier than this 10 inches.