Wednesday, January 14, 2009




We've been talking about it for days... and it's almost here. Arctic air is spilling through the Midwest. Temperatures in much of northern Iowa are already below zero; ours will do the same later this evening won't rise above zero until Friday evening.

The forecast for tomorrow night calls for a low temperature of -26°, which would come very close to the all-time coldest low temperature ever recorded in Rockford.

This kind of cold is dangerous! Limit your amount of time outdoors and take the necessary precautions if you must go outside.

11 comments:

tony said...

Eric, you are right from what you said to me on the phone, I have never in my entire life seen a low temperature of -26. Now with that kind of temperature, will the wind be a factor also, or will they die down to almost a non factor.

Anonymous said...

Cloudy and but cold......Amazing but Thank God it is short lived. Please check on any elderly neighbors because the cold tends to elevate blood pressure. The last time it was this cold, a neighbor of mine let his dog out to use the facilities and he froze to death on my front porch. Please keep an eye on any pets outside and make sure you are safe if you venture out tomorrow.

tony said...

Eric, I do want to thank you for that tip about running a car for 15mins after starting it in this weather. That was actually something I did not know. Usually I let it go about 5 mins or so then start going. I am going to remember that. You truly are the best.

Dustylynn403 said...

Do you think that schools will close tomorrow? I've never really been around weather this cold before and down in Southern IL they close schools if there is even an inch of snow on the ground. If they don't I REALLY hope people aren't stupid enough to make their kids wait outside for the bus.

Dustylynn403 said...

What in the world!! Why is my pic on here!!!

Eric Sorensen said...

Dustylynn: go into blogger.com and/or google.com and change your settings. (That's if you don't want it on there)

Justin said...

The superintendant of rockford schools doesn't plan on cancelling tomorrow... That's just downright dangerous. If I was a parent I definately would be driving my kid to school.

tony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just looked at the schools we site and it said that schools will be open tomorrow I can not believe that they would make kids stand outside waiting for a bus that may or may not come to pick them up it is ridiculous my child will not be going to school tomorrow and if the wind chills are just as low for Friday she will not go that day either

tony said...

I think alot of parents echo your thoughts there crystal. This is just crazy to make kids go to school in this dangerous bitter cold. I wonder if harlem will have school also. I have already seen quite a few districts on the closing list already.

Justin said...

Im thinking they aren't cancelling because high schools have finals... but at least close the elementary schools or something. It really isnt worth putting children in danger.