Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday Afternoon Storm Analysis











My apologies for the delay this afternoon. Definitely a busy day in the weather office! We will start with a few hours of snow during the late-morning hours of Saturday. Perhaps 1-3 inches, especially north of US20. Temperatures are expected to remain below freezing all day long. However warm air will begin to move in at 5,000 feet bringing a change to our precipitation type.

By midday and especially through the afternoon freezing rain will be the main concern. Our Microcast computer model is hinting at 1/2 to 3/4 inch accumulations. On top of that, winds in excess of 30mph would cause trees and powerlines to snap. The power grid could be compromised if this worst-case scenario does indeed take place.

By the time we get into late Saturday night, the temperature profile will be above freezing from the ground up bringing us plain-old rain. In fact, there could be a few lightning strikes as well. Please use this time to prepare, just in case!

7 comments:

Dick said...

I know we have been calling for a variety of things. But is there any chance that this storm could shift and cause a more snow event?

Eric Sorensen said...

I don't believe so. Let's hope for the temperatures to rise above freezing...that would save us a lot of problems. -ERIC

Justin said...

I have a lot of plans tomorrow. Im going to arena cross... 3rd row seats cost $25 a pop. I don't think Im gonna miss out on it.

Justin said...

And Henry from accuweather still says temps will be a lot cooler. Ive always thought of AccuWeather as the cheap version of the weather channel (As far as forecasting)... So I don't exactly buy it. Especially since you seem 99% sure about whats going to happen

Staff said...

Justin, 3rd seats! OMG how you get those dude? Any ways this Henry comes up a lot now. I have to check his blog out for the heck of it! I really either want all rain or all snow. No Ice, how can you skate on ice and how can you not snowboard without snow? And Tyler dude, again I am sorry for what I said last night dude. I am so going to get it.

Justin said...

My friends aunt knows one of the sponsors.

Anonymous said...

Bring on the snow. the snows over us right now but its not reaching the ground come on!