Monday, June 16, 2008

Getting Close to Receding


Driving around yesterday I got a first hand look at some of the hardest hit areas. I'm in a softball league that plays its games at Sportscore One and that entire complex is under water. Speaking with someone who lived right next to the fields they said they thought it wouldn't be used again for at least a month. Over the Latham Street bridge I ran into a woman by the name of Phyllis who said she had been living there for 40 years and had never seen the water this high in Machesney Park.

The good news is that most spots along area rivers are cresting today. The lone location that is experiencing major flooding is on the Rock River near Afton. The National Weather Service has stated that the river has broken the previous record of 13.1', and they don't expect the river to crest until Thursday.

Further good news involves our rain chances this work week. I would put the chance for rain each day through Thursday at less than 10%. I have some raindrops in the forecast for Friday at this point, but I'm not too confident on that rainmaker. I would put the chance for wet weather on Friday at a mere 30%. For folks that have been hit the hardest by the flooding, your prayers for drier weather have been answered. -ADAM

No comments: